Tuesday, November 12, 2013

GOD'S MERCY

  • Keeping rules brings a sense of accomplishment because it is something we do. Breaking rules brings a sense of failure for the same reason. Judging someone for breaking rules--especially the ones we have not (yet) broken--makes us feel superior.

    In contrast, God's mercy has nothing to do with us and everything to do with Him. We cannot earn it; it is an unmerited gift. All we can do is be grateful.

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker. Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment! (James2:10-13 NIV)

Prayer: LORD, "rules are rules", but help me not become so focused on the harsh judgment of rules and regulations that I forget that You desire for me to walk in love and mercy above all else. Your mercy has triumphed over the judgment I deserved in my life. Help me extend it to others in my relationships and interactions. Thank You for Your mercy, grace, love, and forgiveness and for not giving me the harsh judgment my actions would have incurred by the law. In Jesus' name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment